2009-01-05

How I do BLW breakfast

I know the stress of beginners when planning breakfast because I also struggled a lot with it when I first started BLW. I am extremely poor at cooking and don't know why others (usually the respectable moms) have achieved this brilliantly, but finally I come up with the following base formula: Fresh fruit + Carbohydrate


A fresh fruit in the morning is very refreshing esp in warm seasons. It also provides vitamin C (to aid iron absorption and other benefits) and fibre to prevent constipation. Basically it can be a "p" fruit, a soft apple, a melon, a banana (well banana is itself a good energy source and sometimes enough for the whole breakfast!!!) or any other fruits (be careful of small round ones such as grapes - cut into halves). I usually offer it in sticks, wedges or whole (in the case of apples).

DS also likes fruit sticks dipped in whole-fat yoghurt (babies need whole-fat versions, but too fatty for me).

Carbohydrates provide stable energy to start the day and is esp. indispensible in cool seasons. The choices are also numerous (we've tried and rotated all the following many times):

e.g.

1.dry cereal or cereal with milk (I use oat milk or soymilk instead of cow milk) (e.g. Wxxxxbix, Shxxxded Wheat)

2. congee (or your porridge), macaroni, etc. I usually spread some chicken/fish bits (if there is stored cooked food in the refrigerator), cooked peas, chopped greens or tomato into them, and may add a teaspoon of olive oil (you may use flax oil instead - very nutritious and effective laxative) to increase the good fats. I may also add tofu or a small amount (because too sweet) of soaked dried fruits.

3. bread spread with butter or nut butter or avocado. I use a bread machine to make rye or wholegrain (but not 100% wholegrain because not suitable for babies yet) bread and set the timer pointer to the morning. Homemaking enables me to monitor the salt level (and is preservative-free!) (pure white bread is "frightening" for new parents as it becomes sticky in the mouth when mixed with saliva, unless toasted]

4. cake. I also use the bread machine to make cake (in holidays...), but considerably reduce the sugar and replace the cow milk with oat milk.

5. rice cakes (+ nut butter or fruit puree or anything runny). Rice cake is our life savior!

6. baked or steam-boiled potato or sweet potato (+butter, etc.) (I haven't added cheese yet because most cheese I can find is salty)

7. whole wheat biscuits or oat biscuits/crackers (but be careful of salt and sugar level) (+ fruit puree, etc.)

The base formula above is composed of two parts, so if lo doesn't like one part I don't have to rush to the kitchen! (note that other nutrients such as proteins, fats and calcium are usually added on that too.)

For drinks, I just give water in a sippy cup. I also offer prune juice (1:3) when DS hasn't pooed for a week!

You may also try scrambled eggs or pancakes. I am now experimenting with homemade baked beans and may let you know the result (if succeed)!

I am sure other people will provide much more better solutions than mine (you know, many of them are good cook indeed). Anyway, I hope the above can aid the beginners stresslessly planning their first BLW breakfasts (actually as you have seen not much planning is required). Your comments are most welcome!

Tips:

1. remember, relax and eat TOGETHER with your lo! A good breakfast will enable YOU to have an adequate blood sugar level to look after your baby!

2. After breakfast perhaps your lo is in a good mood for you to brush his/her teeth (and vice versa :D )

No comments: