2009-01-04

Re: Help! I have turned into a fundamentalist!

Today, we were at the park and DS fed himself first a sweet potato and second an apple in front of two pairs of parents at different moments. Both of them felt very surprised and a little bit embarassed as their babies (both double the age of DS) are still spoonfed. I think we've taught them a lesson.

I feel sorry for their babies (and their parents too). But if I hadn't read Gill Rapley's 2006 article perhaps as new parents our way of introducing solids would have been similar to theirs and to those of the generations of "mainstream public", and would have reproduced many eating problems too.

After all, this "mainstream" way of feeding babies is being actively promoted by numerous books, companies and "professionals" EVERYDAY (nowadays I often bracket the word "professional" because you know) and is a billion-dollars business (i.e. "baby food")!

So I think we are lucky indeed.

No comments: